Aksara Bali Unicode Keyboard Help
This keyboard lets you type Aksara Bali (Balinese script) in Unicode. It is a Unicode reimplementation of the Bali Simbar keyboard (the de-facto standard keyboard in Bali for typing in Balinese script).
The keyboard follows the Bali Simbar keyboard as closely as possible. Basic usage is as follows:
- Type according to Balinese Latin orthography. For example, [w] [a] [y] [a] [n] [space] types ⟨ᬯᬬᬦ᭄⟩.
- Right after you type a consonant, a question mark ⟨?⟩ appears after it. This indicates that the input is incomplete and you still need to type a vowel, consonant, or punctuation mark. The question mark automatically disappears after subsequent input.
- It is important to type [space] at the end of each word. This does not actually insert a space, but tells the keyboard not to apply certain automatic changes. For example, bapan ceningé typed without a space is incorrect: ⟨ᬩᬧᬜ᭄ᬘᭂᬦᬶᬗᬾ⟩. Using [space], the result is the correct ⟨ᬩᬧᬦ᭄ᬘᭂᬦᬶᬗᬾ⟩. In order to use explicit adeg-adeg between words, type [space] twice: ⟨ᬩᬧᬦ᭄ᬘᭂᬦᬶᬗᬾ⟩. To insert a space character, type [Shift-space].
- In order to override certain automatic changes after consonants, you may occasionally need to type [/]. This blocks various changes by inserting adeg-adeg. For example, typing [r] [/] ensures that [ᬭ] will not be converted to surang.
- The most common modifiers are Shift and Ctrl-Shift. For example, [b] [e] types ⟨ᬩᭂ⟩ and [b] [Shift-e] types ⟨ᬩᬾ⟩; [s] types ⟨ᬲ⟩ and [s] [Ctrl-'] types ⟨ᬰ⟩.
This keyboard contains several additions to the original Bali Simbar keyboard:
- [/] types adeg-adeg
- [Ctrl-Shift-/] types ⟨/⟩
- [Shift-number] types Arabic numerals, for example [Shift-1] types ⟨1⟩
- [Ctrl-r] types rerekan, for example [p] [Ctrl-r] types ⟨ᬧ᬴⟩
- [Ctrl-Alt-o] types windu ⟨᭜⟩
- [Ctrl-Shift-,] types ⟨᭚᭜᭚⟩, repeat for ⟨᭟᭜᭟⟩
- [Ctrl-Shift-.] types ⟨᭛᭜᭛⟩, repeat for ⟨᭟᭜᭟⟩
For much more detailed information, read the original Bali Simbar keyboard guide (in Indonesian), included with the permission of author I Made Suatjana. Keyboard instructions begin on page 8.
All Documentation Versions
- Aksara Bali Unicode Keyboard Help 1.1.0
- Aksara Bali Unicode Keyboard Help 1.0.4
- Aksara Bali Unicode Keyboard Help 1.0.3
- Aksara Bali Unicode Keyboard Help 1.0.2
- Aksara Bali Unicode Keyboard Help 1.0.1
- Aksara Bali Unicode Keyboard Help 1.0