X̄a'ʼislak̓ala Keyboard Help
This keyboard is designed for the X̄a'ʼislak̓ala language of the BC Coast region of Canada.
If square boxes are displayed instead of characters when using this keyboard (and in the keyboard layouts below), please read our troubleshooting guide.
- All accents are typed after the base character: k̓ is typed k then Slash /
- To type the apostrophe accent use the Slash key / — p̓ is typed p then Slash /
- To type the macron accent use the Left-Bracket key [ — ḡ is typed g then Left-Bracket
- X̅a'’islak̓ala uses three different kinds of apostrophes:
- Curly Apostophe ’ — on the apostrpohe key
- Straight Apostrophe ' — on the Right-Bracket key
- Apostrophe accent ’ — on the Slash key
- The original English punctuation keys can be typed by holding down the Right-Alt or Option key. The Semicolon ; is typed Right-Alt+Semicolon (Windows) Option+Semicolon (Mac).
- Opening and closing quotes. For Mac users, Right-Alt is either of the Option Keys.
- single: ‘ Shift+Backquote — ’ Apostrophe
- double: “ Shift+Left-Bracket — ” Shift+Right-Bracket
- single ‹ Right-Alt+Shift+9 — › Right-Alt+Shift+0
- double « Right-Alt+9 — » Right-Alt+0
- keys with a red background are combining accents.
- the first character in a cell is the "one-tap" key, any further characters are "hold-select" keys.
The following fonts have been installed on your computer: Aboriginal Sans, Aboriginal Serif. Please use these fonts when typing in your language as they have been specially built to represent your language as accurately as possible.
Notes on touch layout
|q q̓||w w̓||e||’||t t̓||y y̓||u||i||o||p p̓|
|a||s||d||ʼ||g ḡ||h||ᵒ||k k̓||l l̓||' "|
|z||x x̄||c c̓||¯||b||n n̓||m m̓|